Advanced education in languages, traductology, philology and language teaching
- Students can choose among 6 foreign languages and 8 different cultures and literatures
- Albanian, French, English, Spanish, Romanian, German
- Students can spend educational periods abroad
- Consistency between the course of study and professional profiles required in the employment market
- Extra-curricular activities of orientation and detailed study
- Acquisition of requirements to access advanced programs of study
Topics and focus
- Foreign Languages, Cultures and Literatures, Translation, Philology, Linguistics and Language Theory, Computer Linguistics, Language Didactics, History of Art and Geography, Italian Language and Literature.
- The courses, that are mostly taught in a foreign language, are supplemented by practice, and seminars and workshops. Laboratory activities and internships are also part of the program. Each student is supported by a tutor.
Students participate in a call for admission. Admission requirements are listed in the announcements:
- early (deadline May 30th): recommended to secure a place; high school seniors may also participate, students are admitted through a selective test TOLC
- standard (July/August)
- postponed (September/October), if there are still places available
Only those admitted can enroll. Non-EU students can participate in a specific call (March / April), pre-registration on universitaly.it is required
L11 Modern Languages and Cultures
The program includes the study of at least two foreign languages and of their respective cultures and literatures, as well as the acquisition of advanced knowledge in the fields of linguistics, Italian language and literature, philology, language teaching, and historical-artistic and geographical disciplines, as well as of the main computer tools and telematic communication. It guarantees a wide-ranging international education, aimed at the development of specific and transversal skills and fostering specific cultural and professional motivations, to respond to the constantly evolving needs of contemporary society and of the employment market.
Students with a secondary school diploma (5-year course) and students with another qualification obtained abroad and recognized as suitable. Ideal candidates are students with an interest in language learning and in foreign cultures and literatures
The course aims to train a) people working in: interlingual and intercultural communication, translation and proofreading, tourism and culture, language education, as well as language and cultural mediation; b) undergraduates who are willing to access higher education.
Cultural institutions, public and private organizations, companies working with foreign countries, translation agencies, publishing houses, travel agencies, museums, foundations, editorial boards and television stations, advertising agencies, language schools, social and cultural organizations and cooperatives, courts and detention facilities.
Fees, contributions and exemptions
Costs calculated based on family income (ISEE-University) and including:
- fee for the equal access to university studies (from 130€ to 160€);
- annual amount (from 0 (if ISEE-University <= € 22,000) to € 2,000);
Flat tax = €1,000 for international students (UE and non UE)
With a family income (ISEE-University < € 24,000) students are entitled to receive:
- Scholarship consisting of total exemption from taxes, cash share, canteen and accommodation service (for off-site students)
- Grants for international mobility
- Reduced rates for the use of sports facilities and cultural services d) Benefits for students completing their degrees within regulation time
Exclusively on grounds of merit, students can obtain:
- International mobility grants (Erasmus)
- Free accommodation and canteen services published in the call DUnicAL career program for student-athletes.
Life on Campus
In the largest and best equipped campus in Italy students will experience the sense of a unique university community, sharing educational, recreational, sporting and cultural events with fellow colleagues and professors. The Campus is equipped with lecture rooms, a sports center, theaters, amphitheaters, cinemas, cafes, refreshment areas and other places for socialization, thus offering an extraordinary human and educational experience.Discover more
Services to Students
Unical is organized as an independent town that provides the best possible solutions of accommodation for students and staff living on campus, because it offers multiple services for study activities and for individual and collective well-being: libraries, the Language Learning Center, counselling and inclusion services. The Campus also includes a health center, a post office, a bank counter and a mindfulness dedicated area.Discover more
It complements and completes the services provided by the University of Calabria and has put into shape the idea of a British-American campus-style University. It encompasses 10 districts hosting the university residences, consisting of apartments with double and single rooms, living room, kitchen and toilets. In these districts there are common areas for study and recreational activities and sports, there are TV rooms, game rooms and gyms; launderettes and bike rental services are also available.Discover more
Request information for this course
If you want to know more about the Degree Course
For details on the contents of the individual courses, periods of training abroad, teachers, tutors, classrooms, laboratories, research centers, other structures and social initiatives visit the website of the Degree Course.Go to the institutional website