The degree program offers a choice between two curricula: Philological-Literary studies or Italian Studies
- critical-theoretical instruments and philological methodologies for the analysis of literary texts and interpretation of their formal aspects and content
- acquisition of the necessary requirements to access higher education (PhD courses and Master’s degree) and courses to qualify as a teacher, as envisaged by the regulations in force
- Latin literature, Italian literature (from its origins to contemporary times), theory of literature, Italian-American culture and literature
- Latin and Italian Philology
- Historical disciplines (history of Magna Graecia, medieval, contemporary) and geography
- Didactics of contemporary Italian
- Artistic and philosophical disciplines related to Italian Studies (such as history of art, cinema, and theater)
- English language
Students participate in competition examination. Admission requirements can be found in the admission announcement. Enrollment stages are the following:
- Standard (September)
- Postponed (October/December): if places are still available
After the publication of the final ranking, admitted students can enroll by paying the first fee instalment. Non-EU students can participate in a specific call (March / April); Pre-registration on universitaly.it is required
For the announcement of admission, the attachments and further information consult the section dedicated to master’s degrees
LM14 Modern Philology
The degree program is divided into two curricula (Philological-Literary studies and Italian Studies), it offers specific education in the field of philology and Italian literature. The curriculum of Philological-Literary studies allows students to acquire in-depth knowledge in the field of Latin and especially Italian literature, from the Middle Ages to the contemporary age, with special focus on the theory of literature. The curriculum of Italian Studies provides in-depth education of contemporary Italian literature and Italian-American literature, with special attention to Italian cultural history in its various expressions.
Graduates, undergraduates or students with a qualification in one of the degree classes indicated in the admission notice, obtained abroad and recognized as suitable. Students will also take an entry test for the assessment of their knowledge.
Training graduates that are able to address literary texts formally and to interpret their content, providing them with the knowledge necessary to strengthen their philological and literary skills in order to adequately contextualize literary texts and focus on the cultural context where a specific literary product developed.
Graduates can take responsibility roles in the cultural and publishing industry and in sectors providing cultural services that require a specialization in humanities (libraries, cultural centers, etc.). Students can also access specific courses to qualify as a teacher.
Fees, contributions and exemptions
Costs calculated based on family income (ISEE-University) and including:
- fee for the equal access to university studies (from 130€ to 160€);
- annual amount (from 0 (if ISEE-University <= € 22,000) to € 2,000);
Flat tax = €1,000 for international students (UE and non UE)
With a family income (ISEE-University < € 24,000) students are entitled to receive:
- Scholarship consisting of total exemption from taxes, cash share, canteen and accommodation service (for off-site students)
- Grants for international mobility
- Reduced rates for the use of sports facilities and cultural services
- Benefits for students completing their degrees within regulation time
Exclusively on grounds of merit, students can obtain:
- International mobility grants (Erasmus)
- Free accommodation and canteen services published in the call DUnicAL career program for student-athletes.
Life on Campus
In the largest and best equipped campus in Italy students will experience the sense of a unique university community, sharing educational, recreational, sporting and cultural events with fellow colleagues and professors. The Campus is equipped with lecture rooms, a sports center, theaters, amphitheaters, cinemas, cafes, refreshment areas and other places for socialization, thus offering an extraordinary human and educational experience.Discover more
Services to Students
Unical is organized as an independent town that provides the best possible solutions of accommodation for students and staff living on campus, because it offers multiple services for study activities and for individual and collective well-being: libraries, the Language Learning Center, counselling and inclusion services. The Campus also includes a health center, a post office, a bank counter and a mindfulness dedicated area.Discover more
It complements and completes the services provided by the University of Calabria and has put into shape the idea of a British-American campus-style University. It encompasses 10 districts hosting the university residences, consisting of apartments with double and single rooms, living room, kitchen and toilets. In these districts there are common areas for study and recreational activities and sports, there are TV rooms, game rooms and gyms; launderettes and bike rental services are also available.Discover more
Request information for this course
If you want to know more about the Degree Course
For details on the contents of the individual courses, periods of training abroad, teachers, tutors, classrooms, laboratories, research centers, other structures and social initiatives visit the website of the Degree Course.Go to the institutional website