- Reconstruction and enhancement of links and interconnections between the knowledge of Greek and Latin history and culture
- Study periods abroad
- Acquisition of the necessary requirements to access higher education (PhD Courses and Master’s degree Courses) and courses to qualify as a teacher, as provided by current legislation
- Contacts with agencies interested in the professional profiles trained by this educational program
Greek philology and literature, with a special focus on theatrical literature
- Latin literature with a special focus on philological and interpretative aspects
- Christian texts in Greek and Latin
- Italian philology and lexicography
- Epigraphy and economic and social history of the ancient world.
- Theoretical lessons
- Interdisciplinary approach among the various disciplines
- Workshops and seminars organized with the collaboration of students
Students participate in competition examination. Admission requirements can be found in the admission announcement. Enrollment stages are the following:
- Standard (September)
- Postponed (October/December): if places are still available
After the publication of the final ranking, admitted students can enroll by paying the first fee instalment. Non-EU students can participate in a specific call (March / April); Pre-registration on universitaly.it is required
For the announcement of admission, the attachments and further information consult the section dedicated to master’s degrees
LM15 Filology, Literature and History of Antiquity
The Master’s Degree Program in Science of Antiquity offers advanced education in the field of literature and history of the Greek and Latin world, allowing students to acquire a thorough knowledge of ancient civilization globally from the Greek age to the end of antiquity; a comprehensive knowledge of Greek and Latin language and literature, classical philology and historical linguistics; a mature reflection on the fortune of the classics and the influence of this ancient civilization in the development of modern consciousness.
Graduates, undergraduates or students with a qualification in one of the degree classes indicated in the admission notice, obtained abroad and recognized as suitable. Students will also take an entry test to assess their knowledge.
The degree program provides students with the fundamental theoretical tools to understand society and the cultural factors that determine its evolution. In addition, it offers organizational, planning and development skills necessary to develop autonomous projects that will enable them to access the employment market.
The subjects studied (classical languages and literature, ancient history and philological and linguistic disciplines) and the skills acquired, pave the way to employment in the field of cultural heritage, scientific research, education, cultural and publishing industry.
Fees, contributions and exemptions
Costs calculated based on family income (ISEE-University) and including:
- fee for the equal access to university studies (from 130€ to 160€);
- annual amount (from 0 (if ISEE-University <= € 22,000) to € 2,000);
Flat tax = €1,000 for international students (UE and non UE)
With a family income (ISEE-University < € 24,000) students are entitled to receive:
- Scholarship consisting of total exemption from taxes, cash share, canteen and accommodation service (for off-site students)
- Grants for international mobility
- Reduced rates for the use of sports facilities and cultural services
- Benefits for students completing their degrees within regulation time
Exclusively on grounds of merit, students can obtain:
- International mobility grants (Erasmus)
- Free accommodation and canteen services published in the call DUnicAL career program for student-athletes.
Life on Campus
In the largest and best equipped campus in Italy students will experience the sense of a unique university community, sharing educational, recreational, sporting and cultural events with fellow colleagues and professors. The Campus is equipped with lecture rooms, a sports center, theaters, amphitheaters, cinemas, cafes, refreshment areas and other places for socialization, thus offering an extraordinary human and educational experience.Discover more
Services to Students
Unical is organized as an independent town that provides the best possible solutions of accommodation for students and staff living on campus, because it offers multiple services for study activities and for individual and collective well-being: libraries, the Language Learning Center, counselling and inclusion services. The Campus also includes a health center, a post office, a bank counter and a mindfulness dedicated area.Discover more
It complements and completes the services provided by the University of Calabria and has put into shape the idea of a British-American campus-style University. It encompasses 10 districts hosting the university residences, consisting of apartments with double and single rooms, living room, kitchen and toilets. In these districts there are common areas for study and recreational activities and sports, there are TV rooms, game rooms and gyms; launderettes and bike rental services are also available.Discover more
Request information for this course
If you want to know more about the Degree Course
For details on the contents of the individual courses, periods of training abroad, teachers, tutors, classrooms, laboratories, research centers, other structures and social initiatives visit the website of the Degree Course.Go to the institutional website